Here is a list of verbs which refer to actions of our daily routine, followed by some sentences that serve as examples.
It is important to notice that many (most, actually) of these verbs are reflexive verbs. You can recognize them because they have the particle “se” attached to the infinitive of the verb.
- Despertarse = to wake up
- Levantarse = to get up
- Irse a la cama = to go to bed
- Acostarse = to go to bed (or to lie down)
- Dormirse = to fall asleep
- Hacer la cama = to make the bed
- Poner una alarma = to set up an alarm
- Ducharse = to shower
- Bañarse = to take a bath
- Lavarse los dientes = to wash one’s teeth
- Lavarse la cara = to wash one’s face
- Lavarse las manos = to wash one’s hands
Clothing / hair / beauty
- Vestirse = to get dressed
- Ponerse la ropa = to put on the clothes (you can also use it with specific clothes, like in “ponerse el sombrero” = to put on the hat)
- Desvestirse = to get undressed
- Quitarse la ropa = to take out the clothes (you can also use it with specific clothes, like in “quitarse la chaqueta” = to take out the jacket)
- Peinarse = to comb one’s hair
- Afeitarse = to shave
- Perfumarse = to put perfume on
- Maquillarse = to put makeup
- Cocinar = to cook
- Preparar el desayuno / el almuerzo / la merienda / la cena = to prepare the breakfast / lunch /afternoon snack / dinner.
- Desayunar = to have breakfast
- Comer = to eat (in general)
- Almorzar = to have lunch
- Merendar = to have an afternoon snack
- Cenar = to have dinner
Going to places
- Irse al trabajo = to go to work
- Irse a casa = to go home
- Irse a la escuela / Irse al colegio = to go to school
- Salir del trabajo = to get off work
- Salir de casa = to go out, leave home
- Hacer la compra = to do the shopping
- Quedar con los amigos = to meet friends
- Ir a tomar algo = to go out for a drink
- Dar una vuelta / Dar un paseo = to go for a stroll
- Ir de compras = to go shopping
- Ver la tele = to watch TV
- Escuchar la radio = to listen to the radio
- Escuchar música = to listen to music
- ¡Levántate, vas a llegar tarde al cole! = Get up, you’re going to be late to school!
- Estoy cansado, me voy a la cama. = I’m tired, I’m going to bed.
- A las 7 me levanto. Luego me ducho y desayuno cereales. = I get up at 7. Then I take a shower and have cereals for breakfast.
- ¿Quieres quedar esta tarde? ¿A qué hora sales del trabajo? = Do you wanna meet this afternoon/evening? What time do you get off work?
- Odio afeitarme porque tengo la piel muy sensible. = I hate to shave because I have very sensitive skin.
- ¡Ponte ropa de abrigo! Hoy va a hacer mucho frío. = Put on warm clothes! It’s gonna be very cold today.
- ¿Te quitas los zapatos cuando entras en tu casa? = Do you take out your shoes when you get into your home?
If you are a beginner in Spanish and want to read an easy and entertaining story, click here and check out my book Chats de Amor on Amazon.